I’m not the biggest fan of Valentine’s Day but I can’t resist a chance to make desserts!
Many thanks to Bakerella for the idea–she posted her red velvet cake balls a couple months ago and I’ve been dying to try them. The were super easy and look and taste great!
I used a strawberry boxed cake for one half and red velvet cake (made from scratch) for the other half. I mixed them up so now I have a real assortment and never know what flavor I’m biting into! Â I put mine into heart-clad min-cupcake liners. Â Now I just wish I had a heart-shaped box to put them in!
Red Velvet Cake Balls from Bakerella
1 box red velvet cake mix (cook as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake) I made half a red velvet cake from scratch and also half of a boxed strawberry cake
1 can cream cheese frosting (16 oz.)
assortment of chocolate bars, to melt
1. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.
2. Mix thoroughly with 1 can cream cheese frosting. (It may be easier to use fingers to mix together, but be warned it will get messy.)
3. Roll mixture into quarter size balls and lay on cookie sheet. Should make 45-50.
4. Chill for several hours. You can speed this up by putting in the freezer for a few minutes.
5. Melt chocolate in microwave.
6. Roll balls in chocolate and lay on wax paper until firm. (Use a spoon to dip and roll in chocolate and then tap off extra.)
I used white, dark, and milk chocolate and colored half the white chocolate pink. To decorate, put contrasting color chocolate in ziplock back; cut a tiny hole in one bottom corner and quickly drizzle over chocolates.